Another opportunity to visit the ‘finest Roman remains in London’September 13, 2011 Blogs
Walking along Lower Thames Street in the City of London few people probably realise that some of Roman London’s best remains lie hidden beneath their feet.
The Billingsgate Roman house and baths was first discovered in 1848. Today its remains lie under the buildings at 101 Lower Thames Street and are not generally open to the public.
As part of the Festival of British Archaeology, the Billingsgate Roman House and Baths was open to the public on Saturday 23 July and proved so popular that to support Open House London there is another chance to visit the site on Saturday 17 September between 11am and 4.30pm.
Due to the deteriorating condition of the remains a condition survey was undertaken and its recommendations are now being implemented. The conservation programme was commissioned through the City Surveyors Department at the City of London Corporation, who have very generously funded the project. The work is now being undertaken by Nimbus Conservation. In addition, conservation and site management and interpretation students from the Institute of Archaeology, University College London are helping with the work.
One of their tools to help clear surface debris prior to the more delicate conservation work may raise a smile…
The site is located at 101 Lower Thames Street, EC3 close to Monument or Tower Hill tube stations, and staff will be on hand from the museum should you pop along on 17 September (no booking required).